Monday, November 14, 2011

Race Report - Schooley Mill Cross - Race #6 in the 2011 BikeReg.com MABRAcross Super 8 Series

The days between getting to race cross seem to be getting longer.  I initially thought to blame the change to daylight savings time but the reality is I just love this damn sport.  So each day I worked on something that would make me more competitive, whether it was a decision on a Hersey kiss or grapes, sleep, training stress scores, or simply a little extra time on the bike.  I am actually having some success with weight loss and was thrilled to step on the scale each day of this week to see a gradual and slow decrease.  By Sunday morning I was around 204 lbs, not much weight loss for many, but for me it was climbing Mt Everest, okay maybe a little exaggeration but still.

I was able to get a few CompuTrainer sessions in this week, two great days of riding outside, so I met my week's training goals.  Dropped a few pounds and was all set, till Saturday.  Some days it is harder for me to get to the race then it is to race.  I am not talking about family or work issues but simply the mental state, it just becomes a battle.  So Saturday, I just putz around the house, trying not to think about Sunday.  By the end of the day, I found myself looking at crossresults to see where the race predictor had me for Schooled Mill, 65 out of 110. 

Sunday I packed up the 4Runner, made my traditional stop at Starbucks, and headed up the road.  I have noticed a trend, it is generally 10 to 15 degrees cooler in upper Maryland then my cal de sac in Northern Virginia, but with sufficient gear in the truck, no worries.  Once arriving at Schooley Mill Park, I found myself having to park somewhere in the next county over, this played a little in my decision on whether or not to put a bike in the pits, but fortunately played little in the overall day.

Back of the pack
I grabbed my Morning Joe and did the trek over to the registration area.  What a great location, the facilities were fantastic.  My next bit of anxiety was waiting to see how my double-click action had worked registering for the race, then I got my race number, 474.  Crap, all the way in the back, AGAIN.  I am going to have to figure out, for next season, how to get in the front.  Having to work through this many riders is killing me. 

I did my traditional unenthusiastic warm-up and opted not to pre-ride the course.  This had more to do with timing then anything.  So I mounted my pit bike on the trainer and began to warm-up.  Unfortunately, my race was to begin in less then 45 minutes, so warming up, simply meant spinning the legs around a little.  Hmmm... I wonder how this truly affects my race? Possibly a little test?  Get to Rockburn early, pre-ride the course and do a proper warm-up.  I preach this to the racers that I coach, so I should probably practice what I preach.  Next weekend!?!?

I got to the start line on time and found my place four rows from the back.  All of the normal victims and nemeses were there, most of them in the 430s so I knew I had some work ahead of me.  Though for the Masters 45+ 3/4 the overall series is for nothing more then bragging rights and blogging, I still wanted to maintain my 5th overall.  This meant that I had to get in the top five of the 45+.

My next bit of anxiety was the start.  Am I concerned about my ability?  Nope, but the last couple of races, there has been a few pile-ups and this was a fairly long stretch of pavement.  My only desire is that we all make it to the hole shot area.  This start, well at least toward the back, was fast but almost neutral, where you started is where you hit the hole shot.  Good enough for me.

One Giant Leap over the Steeple Chase
captured by joemallis.com
The course was pretty flat and technical.  In the past, the flat part has been positive and the technical, well challenging for me.  But as the season has progressed my skills have as well.  Now the technical areas are ones in which I can gain some ground.  One area in particular was a fairly sizable steeplechase that alot of people were dreading.  But being 6'2" has it advantages, another place to pass the 73 guys in front of me.  I hit this one with about 20 of my closest friends and gained a few spots.  Over the next five minutes we went back and forth through some switch backs and continued to the next set of barricades.  These were your traditional 18 inch high MABRA planks, immediately following a sharp left turn. 
The crowd was gathered around as In the Cross Hairs, Bill, gave the blow by blow.  At this time I figured that I was in the top fifty, still driving as hard as I could, none of my nemeses were in sight, not yet at least. 

The next couple of laps were about the same, catching more than I was being caught.  I did get tied up in the tape during one particularly bad remount after the stairs run up.  I stood there trying to get myself out of the tape and watched four guys go screaming by.  I was able to catch on and finally get by each one.  The cost was high, I really did not have the extra energy to waste on a chase.  I kept thinking about the scene in 9 Ball Diaries when TJ tapped into a little extra adrenaline to chase back on, that I did not have, and that is why I am still a 3.  By then, I had worked myself into the 420s and when I went by the crowd was told I was sitting 30th.  Great!!  Now can I get into the 20s with one lap to go.  I settled in behind one of the Virginia Wheelmen, which I should not have down.  Not that I could have caught the next group in front but I really didn't even try.  Last lap and I slacked off, shame on me. 

Then 501 came flying by, Sam Mercer, I figured he had passed at least 60 so far, so I tried to get the VM guy to hop on, but I think he was like me redlining it and doing everything he can to keep it together.  Sam rode off and passed the two in front of us.  Back to 32nd I figured, then the Potomac Velo rider and another got tied up together and went down, VM passed and I followed, great we are now 29th and 30th.  Once out on the road to the finish, I was able to get a decent sprint on passing VM and gaining on Sam, but he was just too far in front, 26th, 27th and 28th came across just 4 seconds in front of me.  Should've Would've Could've, if I had just hammered a little harder on the last lap, that could have been the sprint.

Overall I was very pleased.  I ended up 29th in the race and 3rd in the 45+.  My overall standings for the series, I moved from 5th to 4th.  I bet my cross results predictor by 30, added another 45 to my kills, and caught my nemeses and Rapha Clash Challenges.   Rockburn looks as if I am suppose to be 61st.  I am hoping for a little better start position, better warm-up and keepin' my eye on the prize.



4 comments:

  1. to improve your starting position you need to get into the top 25 to get series points. Staging is (1) everyone with series points, then (2) order of registration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I just went to mabracross and read the call-up procedures. Makes total sense now. Looks like there are 54 racers with points and get to line up, well 54 places in front of me. Closest I have been was 27th at Kinder. Maybe Rockburn I can score at least one point before Capital, that way I can at least start 55. Thanks for the info and for reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it chuck. next year be quick to register for the first couple races and get a top 25 result. That should solidify you in the first few rows for the rest of the season. Worked for me. Eric - cycle-smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric... great advice. I thought that it was only the top 5 or so. Lesson learned, should have paid better attention. Next year it will be my number 1 strategy, I just hate I have to wait 320 days.

    ReplyDelete